Groundbreaker Work Pants
Featuring Lightweight + Breathable Fabric with a Contoured Waistband.
Hundreds of people weighed in on exactly what would make a perfect pair of work pants. The result is the Groundbreaker – and they’re here to make your workday more comfortable.
We heard you: first and foremost, it’s about fit. These pants have enough room to move comfortably without slipping, chafing or bunching, and the difference it makes is huge.
Also, you have stuff to carry. A lot of stuff. We added multiple pockets and dividers to stow the many tools of your trade: Sharpies, blades, pliers, zip ties, carpenter pencils, notepads, granola bars, etc. There’s even a skinny pocket that fits a tampon.
You’re not fans of the double-front look, but you are fans of pants that last season after season. Groundbreaker pants have interior reinforcement that gives them all the sturdiness of a double-layer knee without the bulky look of traditional workwear paneling.
Oh, crotch seams. Seems like they’re always the first to go. The Groundbreaker has a diamond-shaped gusset that takes stress off the seams, so they won’t rip or pull when you have to get low to the ground.
Tougher is based in the Pacific Northwest, where workdays tend to be wet. On the advice of our community members out in equally soggy climates, we gave the pants an allover water-repellent treatment to keep out the weather.
- Extra room through the quads and hips makes for easy movement.
- Articulated knees prevent chafing and bunching through the leg.
- The hem fits comfortably around a work boot (or can be tucked into a muck boot).
- A gusset takes stress off the crotch seams, so you can crawl, squat and climb without tearing your pants.
- A contoured waistband prevents waist gap and keeps your ass covered.
- The leg tapers below the knee for a non-bulky look.
Fit is what makes Tougher pants altogether different from what you’ll find in the men’s department. To find your best fit, see our Sizing Guide.
As a long-time wearer of men's cut work pants I was ecstatic! No wide legs at the ankles; no gapping in the back due to my belt and pulling the pants down; no weird tightness or pulling at the thighs when kneeling down or sitting. – Kristen
- It’s 8-oz. cotton/polyester fabric with two-way stretch — just as sturdy as heavyweight cotton duck, but weighs over a pound less.
- A hidden reinforcement panel at the knee extends wear while keeping a seamless look.
- A water-repellent finish gives you three-season protection.
- Run ’em through the washing machine and throw ’em in the dryer.
- Side utility pocket with suede reinforcement protects from open blades.
- Divided pockets hold tools, shears, zip ties, Sharpies and/or carpenter pencils.
- Narrow side pocket is perfectly sized for a Leatherman multi-tool or a spare tampon.
- Main pockets are deep enough to actually hold hands and tools.
I have been wearing my Tougher pants for work lately as an animal management officer. I like the pocket designs for easy pen and notebook grabbing. – Paula
The Fine Print
- Made in the USA.
- Free standard shipping within the USA.
- We accept returns and exchanges for unused, unwashed items. No restocking fee. Return postage paid by sender.
I have worn my first pair so much, that I needed a second pair for when the first are in the wash. They have been the best work pants ever. I bought a pair for my adult daughter and they are her go-to pants for hiking.
I really like these pants. They fit well and are comfortable to wear. I definitely recommend them.
The Groundbreaker Work Pants were a gift for my carpenter twin sis. She's tried various different work pants and after her first day wearing TOUGHER, she declared them the most comfortable ever. It's hard to find work pants short enough for 5'1" stature, so the 30" length option is much appreciated. The knees section feels very durable, and I'm confident they'll endure what my sister's many perforated pants did not. I tried on the TOUGHER pants before gifting and because they're such a great fit, I'm contemplating another order for me to wear at my tough desk job!
Nice pants comfortable and fit good
Need more color options
Iʻve been looking for a pair of work pants that would fit without swallowing me up. Iʻm fairly petite and slender and the pants Iʻve worn in the past were always a little baggy and would often bunch around my hips and waist. These pants by Tougher fit so perfectly around my waist that I donʻt need to wear a belt! The material is also soft and comfortable, while being sturdy. The gusseted crotch also helps with movement, whether Iʻm crouching, sitting, or walking about. As a conservation biologist and avid gardener, Iʻm stoked that I found these! Definitely will order another pair when my other pants wear out.
For sizing, Iʻm 5ʻ6" 120 lbs with a 26" waist. I generally have a 30" in-seam, but do wish I would have gotten a slightly longer pair.